Sunday 29 December 2013

Grand Designs and other property shows

    "There have been times when I think we do not desire heaven but more often I find myself     wondering whether, in our heart of hearts, we have ever desired anything else." C.S. Lewis.

I love property shows- Grand Designs, Location, Location, Location, even 60 Minute Makeover. I can get drawn in and watch for hours. Have you noticed how they always have a similar plot? Especially Grand Designs. They have a plan. The plan goes wrong. A baby bump appears followed by a baby in a sling being carried round a muddy building site. (This is necessary to the plot as you will see later.) After the setbacks we see Kevin arrive at a finished house; he enters a gleaming white kitchen where the only clutter is a bowl of shiny apples next to some flowers. There are curly haired children playing harmoniously with colour coordinated toys (see?!) while the adults sip coffee and admire their shiny new home. Kevin says something profound and they all live happily ever after. Kirsty and Phil's shows have a slightly different plot but a similar ending, and if they don't quite make it to happy ever after we are assured it's only a matter of time.

As I say I have spent far too much of my time watching these shows. But I have to be careful or else I find myself longing for a gleaming white kitchen, a bigger house and colour coordinated children. I have to remind myself that after the camera crew leave, the apples bruise, the kids start whining, and maybe even the brand new roof leaks. And lets face it, any kitchen that I have to clean is never going to be gleaming for very long.

 The pastor at our church once said that we all try to make ourselves a little heaven on earth. He said it in one particular context but it stayed with me because it seemed so true in so many ways. This is one particular version of heaven-on-earth that is very tempting to me. I peek into some grand houses on the way to school and I can feel the discontent in my heart. If only I had a House with Stairs and a Garden life would be so much better. It's Disney for grownups.

On these occasions I find myself thinking of these words of Jesus:
      “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.  My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:1-3)

Real rooms, a real house, a real place. Ok so he doesn't say we will all get a detached house. But then we won't be afflicted with the insatiable desire for more, better, bigger. We will be content. Oh and guess what? The roof won't leak, the children won't fight and the apples will stay shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment