Sunday 30 March 2014

A (short) thought for Mothers Day

My kids listen to the Australian singer Colin Buchanan in the car. He writes Christian music for children and it's very catchy (most of it). Lets face it, at this point in their lives they have no say in what they listen to, and I quite like this too! One of their favourite songs is called 'The Chooky and her chickies' (I did mention he's Australian didn't I?) Not least because the song involves lots of clucking like a chicken. So they get to be silly while learning a lovely truth about God- that he loves us like a mother hen loves her chicks. What a beautiful and motherly image. 

So in the words of Colin:

So if you're sad and sorry
Or if you're feeling worried
I suggest you hurry
To the shelter of God's wings.

 
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.
Matthew 23

My heart is not proud, Lord,
    my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
    or things too wonderful for me. 
 But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.
Psalm 131

No comments:

Post a Comment