Thursday 27 March 2014

Happy Endings

I am addicted to happy endings. Ask my family and they will tell you that I have never wanted to watch or read anything in the least bit sad, scary or gruesome. I don't need tragedy or even realism in my fiction, thank you, there is plenty of that in the newspaper and on my doorstep. I studied English Literature at uni and I will tell you now that I love Jane Austen and loathe Thomas Hardy.

These days my reading is a bit lighter. I am currently hooked on a series of detective novels, what my mum likes to call 'cosy crime.' No gruesome details or serial killers, just a formulaic story where the heroine/detective hunts down the bad guys. She may get robbed or coshed on the head along the way, and her trusty assistant will have some struggles too, but I know she's going to survive and get the baddies because there's a sequel. And I've read a few now and that's how they go.

There is something very comforting about these stories. They create order out of chaos and answer a need in me- and I am sure not just me. Look how fairy tales and Disney sell us happy endings. 'And they all lived happily ever after.' Usually after a wedding day. But weddings aren't endings, they are beginnings. So where are all the real happy endings? Actually, can anyone show me just one?

You have probably noticed that Easter is on its way. (I have some mini creme eggs next to me, please don't tell Harry!) Last week I was helping in Sunday School, and I was able to watch the faces of Harry and his little friend as they heard the first part of the Easter story. The part that is hard to listen to, where Jesus is mocked, whipped, spat upon and ultimately crucified. I should say, the teacher told it very well and appropriately but I wanted to watch Harry as he is such a 'happy ending' kind of guy. Even some of cbeebies is too scary for him. And his friend got upset at storytime at our house when the big bad wolf landed in the three pigs' dinner. I found myself reassuring him that the wolf wasn't hurt, he just learned his lesson so that he won't eat any more little pigs. So you can understand that I wanted to see how they would take this story. And they clearly were not happy these things were done to Jesus.  But their teacher was able to say to them, 'don't worry, this story has a happy ending.'

Here's the thing. We haven't got to the end yet. And if you trust in Jesus, you believe in the best, truest happy ending ever. And if you don't know him yet, you can have this happy ending just by reaching out and taking the gift of forgiveness from Jesus. It does mean dropping everything that you are holding on to, but it is worth it.

As people who trust in Jesus, our endings are as certain as those of the novels I read. As certain as Poirot gathering all the suspects together at the end of a case. As certain as Jane Austen's heroines getting the man of their dreams. And much, much better. Here is what the Bible has to say about our future.

 Therefore they are before the throne of God,
    and serve him day and night in his temple;
    and he who sits on the throne will shelter them with his presence. 
 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore;
    the sun shall not strike them,
    nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,
    and he will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”


 And I am back to talking about heaven again. I recently read this in a Bible study and was enchanted with it:
Its from Revelation 7. I particularly love this translation (ESV) and this is why: I have talked about heaven before, about how there will be no more suffering, no illness, no pain. Those things are important and are present in this passage too, but the really amazing thing about heaven will be to be in the presence of Jesus. To be able to stand before God. And we see this here. To be sheltered by God's presence. How wonderful.

Now I think I need to go and finish my book. And maybe the chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment