Friday 31 October 2014

Happy Halloween...?


'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.' John 1

There's been loads written about whether Christians should or should not participate in celebrating Halloween. I know, I've read most of it in an effort to work out where I stand. I don't have all my theological ducks in a row but here's where I'm at.

I like dressing up and I like sweets. My kids like these things even more than I do.

Bats and spiders are ok I suppose.

I cannot bring myself to like costumes of devils, witches and other truly scary stuff. I suppose the bottom line is that I believe there are things in this world which are evil.

Even more do I believe in the one who has defeated all evil.

It's a 'now and not yet' thing.

So my kids can dress up if they want. And when they actually get round to noticing Halloween and realise there are SWEETS involved no doubt they will have something to say.

In the meantime we will paint and carve pumpkins and talk about the Light of the whole world.

Because I will take this, and every, opportunity to celebrate Jesus.

'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.' John 8



No comments:

Post a Comment