Thursday 11 December 2014

How the Bible is like a soap opera (or Doctor Who)

My dad is a history buff. I find it fascinating but have a terrible memory for times, dates and places. They stay in my head for about 3 minutes.

I wanted to get some historical facts and figures about the Bible for this post but I had to search around for some help. The most useful thing I found was this: (I am getting to the soap opera bit, bear with me!)

             Approximately forty authors wrote in three different languages over a period of one thousand five hundred years. Some of the authors were young, some were old, some were soldiers, others were fishermen, farmers, civil servants or kings. They wrote during different periods of history, in different geographical locations, to different groups of people.
(Christianity Explored by Rico Tice and Barry Cooper)

Forty authors, 3 languages, 1500 years. And yet it is one story.

It's a while since I watched a soap opera but pre-kids I watched loads. Each day would bring a different character, a different drama, but there would often be one on-going story line which kept me watching. I had to know what would happen next.

Or take Doctor Who. The recent series have had a range of adventures, new every week, but with an undercurrent storyline. Cracks in walks, Missy, Bad Wolf. It keeps you coming back for more.

The Bible works a bit like that. There are stories within The Story: Cain and Abel, Noah, David and Goliath etc. But there's a theme, a promise running through. That the world went wrong, but God will fix it. There will be a way back to the garden (Adam and Eve's story), a ladder to Heaven (Jacob's story), a forever King (David's story), a precious Son sacrificed (Abraham's story.)

I suspect that the people who watch EastEnders on Christmas day are the same people that watch it all year. And while you can watch and enjoy a Doctor Who Christmas Special, I imagine that those who anticipate it more and appreciate it more are those who are loyal fans.

Likewise, if the only Bible story you ever hear is the Christmas story of the baby in the manger, it is going to lack impact and meaning. But if you have read from the beginning, you have a sense of the need of God's people for a rescuer, the promises given by God to restore the broken relationship with his children, the waiting, the longing, the prophecies... And finally, He is here!

The nativity story is not the beginning of the story. Nor is it the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment