Tuesday 17 February 2015

Every day is pancake day



Harry had pancakes for breakfast today. He will have them again tomorrow. It's one of the few things he will eat, and as far as he's concerned, a perk of lazier holiday mornings.

A lot of other people ate pancakes today too. And tomorrow we start the fasting, right...?

I grew up giving stuff up for Lent, going to church on Ash Wednesday etc but have been in churches with other traditions for so long now I am out of practice. But I miss it. And I'm not sure what to say to my kids about it.

I know what Lent isn't. It's not a second attempt to keep those resolutions I dropped half way through January. It's not time to go on a diet (that might not be a bad thing but lets face it, there's mini creme eggs in the shops). It's not time to earn a bit of God's favour either.

I've noticed something else. People saying 'don't give something up this year, give out or spread some joy, do something new or something extra.'

Like diets, those are good things, but is there something inherently wrong with giving things up? Something outdated or selfish or pointless?

I want to keep Lent because I want to get ready for Easter. I want a sense of anticipation, for the children as well as myself. I want time to reflect on what it really means. More time to sit with Jesus.

I've set myself some reading to rediscover Lent. I probably will fast from something. I probably won't tell you what it is because that's not the point of it. It might be facebook, it might be chocolate, it might be something else.I will undoubtedly fail at it so if you find me browsing facebook on my phone eating- mini creme eggs- don't be surprised.

Luckily I don't have to earn God's favour. I don't have to earn my place in his kingdom or his heart. He gave up everything for me, gives me his grace everyday. The least I can do is have a stab at giving up a few pleasures to seek to get to know him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment