Thursday 26 February 2015

Far too late to even pretend to be a valentines post part 2

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13)

You know this one. I had to learn it by heart at school for RE GCSE. And it's read at plenty of weddings. So much so it can become overfamiliar and even a little bit stale. 

That's how it has been for me for a while. But the Bible doesn't ever have to become stale. There are many, many passages in the Bible that I can read over and over, just drinking in the beauty of their Author. And I am glad to say that me and 1 Corinthians 13 are making friends. 

If you read this outside of a wedding where people are feeling starry-eyed and romantic it becomes very challenging. And beautiful.

Read it again. It sounds very much like a description of God- the one who is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. (Psalm 145)  This is how you are loved. Pretty good, hey? 

Trouble is, Paul is saying that this is how we should love. Read it on an ordinary day, especially after a row or a particularly grumpy morning (who me?) It doesn't sound much like me. Envy is only too familiar, patience all too fleeting. And keeping a record of wrongs? Yep that's all too natural too. 

Growing up as a church-goer and hearing the Bible, but not really knowing God or understanding the true nature of his covenant love, I would read verses such as this one from Matthew: 'you therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect' and feel afraid. How am I ever supposed to do that?

The answer is we don't - Jesus does it for us, in us, through us. These passages make me realise how far I fall short of the standard God holds- perfection- and bring me to where I need to be- at his feet declaring my spiritual bankruptcy and asking for his forgiveness and help. 

One more word about RE GCSE. It's amazing the difference the Holy Spirit makes. I learned that passage at school as an exercise and was not blown away by its brilliance. The Holy Spirit can make the Bible alive if we only let him. I remember one summer day I was working on some RE coursework. I got distracted by reading the book of Acts. I started reading it as I would a novel and got hooked. For the rest of the day I felt different. That memory has stayed with me. That was the first time that I really met God through his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment