Thursday 16 April 2015

Living below the line


I'm getting ready to take the 'living below the line' challenge for the second time.

There are 1.2 billion people worldwide who live in extreme poverty- they have £1 a day (or the equivalent purchasing power) to live on. For them that includes everything- food, drink, education, you name it. Global Citizen run this challenge along with many charities to raise awareness and funds.

So, from 27th April or thereabouts, for 5 days I have £1 a day to spend on all my food and drink. I am raising money for Tearfund, and any donations will go to help some of the world's poorest people. (Please sponsor me!!)

I've learned a few things from last year. It was an eye opener in how much choice I have and how much I waste. I also had some interesting conversations. I talked to a lot of people about food banks in the UK, as I saw just how far £1 goes (not very) in the supermarket. I am more than happy to talk about food poverty in the UK- in fact there's an election coming up, lets talk about it!! But the focus of this challenge is more on developing countries, where people have nothing. No water. No ready access to healthcare, or education. Real, grinding, exhausting poverty.

 I will soon be boring you on facebook, instagram and everywhere else with pictures of my bland repetitive meals. In the meantime please sponsor me!


I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. Matthew 25

But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream! Amos 5

No comments:

Post a Comment