Tuesday 11 November 2014

Standing on holy ground

When Job’s three friends... heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads.  Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.


When things got tough with Alice's illness, one of the greatest comforts to me were my friends, who came and sat with me. They cried with me, prayed with me, brought food. Mostly they were just there. 

Now it is my turn to do the same for my friends who are going through tough times. They taught me well, my friends, on how to be there for someone who is in the depths. And honestly, seeing their faith in action in the midst of trouble is nothing short of amazing. They choose to believe in His goodness and to trust Him even when nothing makes sense.

Brokenness is a holy place. 

I grew up attending a church with a crucifix on the wall. The image of Jesus' broken body- the ultimate image of brokenness. After a few years they replaced it with an image of the resurrected Jesus with arms outstretched in welcome. 

The truth is, we need both. Yes, Jesus is victorious, the triumphant King, but first he was broken. 
We have a God who chose to share in our brokenness. And so in our lowest moments we can know Him like never before. And we can trust that he will bring us through, to share in his victory. 

So if your friend is sitting in the dust like Job, show up. Take cake or chocolate or soup. If you don't know what to say, don't say anything. Listen, pray, sit. 

You may well meet Jesus there.

No comments:

Post a Comment