Wednesday 9 December 2015

Searching

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 
Jeremiah 29

So many people in the Christmas story were waiting on the promises of God. They had the scriptures, they knew God had promised not to leave them in the dark.

Did the wise men know about those promises? I don't know- I suspect they didn't. Still they didn't have to make God up. He gave them the longing in their hearts and the star in the sky.




I am always learning something new on this Christian walk. Recently I have been struck with the fact that God tells us who he is, that he shares his good news with us- after all, he didn't have to.

CS Lewis, in his book 'Surprised by Joy', talks about an experience of joyful longing. For a long time he sought the experience itself, until he realised that he must be longing for something.

David Suchet, in talking about becoming a Christian, says that his first reading of the bible 'slotted right into what I had been searching for, something beyond.'

Augustine of Hippo said, 'You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless until they can find rest in you.'


With all wisdom and understanding, he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfilment- to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. (Ephesians 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment