Monday 9 May 2016

For small pirates

     I lift my eyes to the mountains
     Where does my help come from?
     My help comes from the Lord,
     Maker of heaven and earth.
     Psalm 121



A while ago Dave got all Pinterest-y and made the kids a blackboard on the inside of the front door. It's the best thing in our house.

Harry had a bit of a wobble last week, going back to school after the holidays. Lots to worry about. I decided to write the above verses on the blackboard, where he could read them before going to school.
The thing is, he's been in character as a pirate for about three weeks now, so he wrote underneath 'and my treasure, and my stew and my slop.' (He's sure pirates eat stew, anyone know if it's true?!)

So I'm going with some wise words from a Colin Buchanan song instead. Harry is struggling with the idea that anyone could be the captain except him, but really, which one of us doesn't struggle with that?

Are you serving Captain Jesus? He's the master of the wind and waves
There's yo-ho-ho no other way in which you can be saved
Through scurvy, sharks and shipwrecks,
Through every storm and strife,
Sail on with Captain Jesus,
He's the treasure of your life.

PostScript: Harry came home from school today and asked if he could watch the 'Jesus Storybook Bible' on dvd- namely ' The Captain of the storm' and 'Treasure hunt'. So there we have it- the Bible message for pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment